Tactile Skills Matrix
Setting the Stage for Tactile Understanding Kit: Making Tactile Pictures Make Sense
Welcome to the Tactile Skills Matrix! Use this resource to locate APH products that support the development of skills and concepts that contribute to students’ tactile literacy. Select any of the skills (listed alphabetically in the sidebar menu) to view a list of recommended APH products. Click on the active link for each recommended product to obtain more detailed information regarding the product’s purpose, components, target population, price, and related products from APH’s Shopping site.
Keep in mind the following as you use this online resource:
- You are encouraged to periodically revisit the online Tactile Skills Matrix because new products will continue to be added in the future.
- Many of the recommended APH products introduce and address multiple tactile skills and therefore appear in more than one listing.
- Tactile skills are often addressed concurrently, instead of in a sequential or linear fashion, during the use of many of the recommended APH products.
- Teachers and parents are encouraged to find alternate ways to use the recommended products to broaden the types of tactile skills introduced.
- Although intended for a specific age or grade level, many of the recommended APH products can be tailored to multiple student populations. For example, an older tactile reader might benefit from using a kit intended for a young child if he or she is new to the use of tactile graphics.
If you have additional recommendations for APH products that should be listed under each of the tactile skill areas, share your ideas with Karen J. Poppe, Tactile Literacy Project Leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org as she continues to update this Tactile Skills Matrix.